A quick growing, evergreen, shrubby climber. This species and the varieties are commonly grown in tropical gardens and produce large showy flowers for a long period in summer and rains. They prefer sunny location and are trained on wall, porch, pillar, and arch. Pruning should be done after flowering.
As shrub Allamanda grows very thick and get covered with yellow bell shaped 3 to 4 inches long blooms in growing season. Although it does not have tendrils to climb but provided support can grow as vine too.
|Plant Height||12 inch (30 cm)|
|Plant Spread||5 inch (13 cm)|
|Common Name||Also Known as Allamanda cathartica, Golden Trumpet Bush, Buttercup Flower, Golden Bell. Bengali – Harkakra, Kannada – Arasinhu, Malayalam – Kolaambi, Telugu – Allenandatheega, Marathi – Pivlee Ghunti, Hindi – Pilaghanti.|
|Maximum Reachable Height||3 to 6 ft.|
|Bloom Time||Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter|
Planting And Care
- Allamanda is a bushy nature plant, large sized container is preferable as the plant gets heavy with the time.
- You may need to repot it every year. Regardless of size, make sure container has drainage holes at bottom to ensure smooth drainage of water.
- Put stone or brick pieces on the holes.
- Allamanda grows very rapidly and needs pruning due to its bushy nature.
- Also pruning increases air circulation in plant required for good growth.
Bush Allamanda Care
Allamanda is a bushy nature plant, large sized container is preferable as the plant gets heavy with the time. You may need to repot it every year. Regardless of size, make sure container has drainage holes at bottom to ensure smooth drainage of water. Put stone or brick pieces on the holes.
|Sunlight||Full sun to Partial shade.|
|Watering||Requires consistently moist soil. Do not let dry out between waterings.|
|Soil||Soil pH 7.6 to 7.8 (mildly alkaline).|
|Temperature||These tender plants will not withstand temperatures below 25 degrees F.|
|Fertilizer||Feed the plant with liquid fertilizer in growing season and cut it down to once a month in winter.|
|Harvest Season||Flowers are harvested throughout the year.|